Jim Collins, author of Good To Great, said, “Greatness is not a function of circumstance. Greatness, it turns out, is largely a matter of conscious choice, and discipline.” Great leaders are productive, effective, competent, and successful in their leadership role. You can become a great leader by consistent doing these 8 things:
1. Inspire- Great leaders inspire those around them. They lead by example, demonstrating the attitude and actions that lead to a winning environment. The example they set inspires their team to strive for excellence.
2. Grow- Great leaders know the value of Lifelong Growth. Personal growth is a daily habit for them. They understand what John Maxwell says, “Growth today is an investment for tomorrow.” Leaders grow and develop themselves into great leaders.
3. Equip- Great leaders continually train and equip their people. They provide hands on coaching and relevant trainings. Knowing to win in business requires a competent team which is growing continually.
4. Listen- Great leaders effectively communicate. Communication is about speaking, body language, and listening. They know when to talk and when to listen, making sure to spend most of the time listening.
5. Manage- Great leaders are superb managers, having a combination of both leadership and management skills. They are aware of the performance of each individual and the entire team as a whole. They manage in a way that allows for maximum productivity and efficiency. Making sure the work they do leads to goals being accomplished and making progress toward the organizational vision.
6. Think and reflect- Great leaders take time to slow down to think and reflect. Thinking allows them to come up with creative ideas and the best decisions. Reflecting allows them to learn from past situations (successes and failures) and experiences.
7. Connect- Great leaders take time to connect with the customers/clients and those in every level of the organization, especially with their followers. They don’t just hide out in their office or away from people. They go to the front lines to connect and build relationships with others.
8. Execute- Great leaders take action and execute. They plan, set goals, and then get to work. They are action driven and oriented. Jeff Bridges says, “Execution is everything.”Jeff Bridges
Question: What some other things great leaders consistently do?