[Special announcement: The past couple months I’ve been working on a book title: The Leadership Mandate, 10 Essential Elements to Developing the Leader Within You. I’m in the process of working on the book cover, the last of the editing, and a few other details. My goal is to have it released at the end of this month (Going for Sept. 23rd). You will hear more about the book and how you can join my book launch team in the next week or so.]
Repost from 10/2011
We can know the benefits of personal development but often find it hard to do. Just like exercising we know and feel the benefits but often don’t do it. We can’t just think about personal development or exercise and expect to see the benefits; we need to apply action to our thoughts. But putting action in the area of personal development can be hard. Here are 5 reasons why personal development can be hard,
1. Change– Personal development causes us to change which is hard because it takes us from the known to the unknown, from where we are to a new or unfamiliar place. It causes us to see areas where we need to change or become better in or at. We often can resist the unknown or change of any kind which can make it hard to grow personally.
Challenge- Choose to change and venture into new and undiscovered areas of yourself.
2. Time– If we desire to grow and develop then time is a key component. This is hard because we live in a busy world which can lead us to lose focus on personal development. Everyone has 24 hours in a day but not everyone uses their time wisely, in most cases when we become busy the first thing to go is personal development.
Challenge- Daily manage your time and set aside time for personal development.
3. Money- Whether it’s buying a book or purchasing a ticket to a conference, personal development takes spending money. In this economy spending money can be hard but it’s worth remembering the benefits of personal development. Though there are valuable resources online you still will need to spend some money.
Challenge- Make the choice to spend money to develop yourself.
4. Energy- Energy is the key that ignites and starts growth and development. If we desire to grow then we need to actively engage in personal development and this requires energy and self-motivation. If we have energy we will take the time to grow but if we don’t then we won’t. We need to manage our energy level so we have enough energy to engage in personal development.
Challenge- Use some of your best energy for personal development.
5. Discipline– This is one of the hardest things about personal development because it’s hard to be disciplined. But if you desire to grow then you will need it. Sticking with your plan to grow takes self discipline and focus. I have found that if you don’t discipline yourself to grow and develop then it won’t happen.
Challenge– Discipline yourself to daily grow. Set up a personal development plan and stick to it.
Questions: What are some other reasons personal development is hard? Do you relate to any of these 5 areas?