Leaders understand the importance of maintaining a high level of energy. They know if they have energy it creates stamina and endurance that helps in producing results, leading effectively, increasing productivity, and moving the team or organization toward the vision. In fact, energy is a prerequisite to success and achievement. Below are 5 practical methods for increasing and maintaining your energy level:
1. Exercise- Regular exercise strengths your body and creates natural energy. Exercising releases endorphins (A chemical in the brain) which increase your mood, energy, and well-being. These benefits will outweigh the time and effort you put into exercising or working out. A practical way for a leader to exercise is to implement it into their daily routine.
Three ways you can begin to adapt this method include: Parking at the end of a parking lot, taking the stairs instead of the elevator, or doing some cardio during a break. This can take a little time but if you implement these types of habits into your daily life you will see the results.
2. Mindset- Your thoughts and mindset can determine your energy level. If you walk around all day saying things similar to “I’m so tired” or “I need rest” then your body is going to consider those thoughts as real, in turn it will impact your energy level. This is why it’s crucial to focus on and think about the energy level you want and not your current feelings. This might mean you have to fake it until your body and mind starts agreeing with you.
3. Personal Growth- One of the benefits to personal growth and development is that it has the power to increase your energy and motivation. Your growth generates energy. This is because when you read, attend a conference, listen to audio, or are mentored the result is that you will leave the activity inspired, motivated, and reenergized. Just take a minute to think about the last time you read or listened to personal growth content. How did that content make you feel during and after? If you’re like most people it caused you to fee inspired and energized to take action.
4. Sleep- Those who get enough sleep on a regular basis can positively impact their immune system, mental composite, work effectiveness, and energy level. This is because sleep rests your body and recharges you. The opposite is also true for those who forsake sleep. This is why it’s important for you to figure out how many hours of sleep your body needs each night and then discipline yourself to obtain that amount on a regular basis. During your day you can also take advantage of a short (I recommend a 15-20 minute) nap. When you feel tired or have low energy a powernap can boost your energy level.
5. Relationships- The relationships you have and those you associate with can greatly determine your energy level. Leadership is about being and influencing those around you which takes effort and energy. However, the truth is some people cause you to be energized while others drain your energy. To avoid the relationships that negatively impact your energy and leadership be intentional about people you spend the majority of your time with. You should care and value everyone while investing your time on the relationships that reap a mutual return. Take time to find and place the right people in your inner circle and on your team.
Questions: Can you add to the list? What are some other practical methods to increasing your energy level? What has been the best way you have created or maintained your energy level?