Time is a leader’s most valuable asset (Click here to Tweet that). However, most leaders have several minutes (Even hours) of wasted time during the day and week. The problem even affects the most productive, effective, and time conscious leaders. This is because time can be easily be wasted during a break, waiting for a client, in between meetings, walking from one area to the next, arriving early to work or an appointment, ect. Below are 8 practical solutions for how to use those free minutes during the day:
1. Read – Smart devises allow you to have access to books, magazines, and blogs. Why not read a few pages or blog post during those usually waited minutes. I have had several people ask me how I read and comment on so many blogs, part of the answer is that I read several blog posts throughout my day then comment on them when I’m at home.
2. Listen to audio- When you have a few minutes you can listen to a podcast, audio book, or music. Listening to audio can give you a boost of inspiration and motivation. Both reading and listening to audio throughout the day can allow you to grow and develop your leadership abilities.
3. Write- The next time you have a few free minutes you can write something you want or need to remember down, this can include a to-do list or an idea or thought. The program I mainly use for this is Evernote, which I highly recommend.
4. Take a minute to breath- A few minutes of unproductive or down time can be very beneficial for a busy leader. It can be a time to relax and take a breath which can calm the body and mind. A few minutes of quite time can do wonders for you.
5. Make a phone call- During those usually waited minutes you can make a phone call, to those people you have been wanting to or needing to call. For leaders, this can be valuable because it can allow you to give a follower, co-worker, friend, or family member a call so you can encourage them.
6. Catch up on your email- Looking through your emails, and responding to them can allow you to have and keep a low email in box. This can be done when you’re in or outside (through a phone) your office.
7. Pray- During those usually wasted minutes a person can take time to pray. This is one of the most valuable and beneficial ways to use your time. This is because staying closely connected with God through prayer can allow us to lead effectively.
8. Build your online platform– Leaders who have an online presence can be visible through social media during those free minutes. It’s also a great way to start or build your online relationships, which is a significant aspect to being an online success.
Implementing these suggestions can help you gain back those usually wasted minuted during your day which will allow you to maximize your time.
Question: Can you add to the list? what are some other ways a leader can do during those usually wasted minutes during the day?