Attending conferences should be a part of every leader’s personal growth plan. Though it can’t be done as frequently as reading a book or listening to an audio teaching, a leader should attend a leadership conference at least once a year. I have found these 4 benefits to attending a leadership conference:
1. You increase your leadership abilities- Attending a leadership conference allows you to sharpen and gain new skills. You hear the ideas and thoughts from leading experts in leadership or your specific industry. Every time you walk away from a conference you have the opportunity to learn something new or be reminded about an important leadership principle. You gain relevant and practical advice you can implement into your leadership. The result is that you become a better person and leader.
2. A conference can be a source of nourishment- Nourishment is defined as “the substance necessary for growth, health, and good condition.” A leadership conference can bring nourishment into your life because it can encourage, motivate, and inspire you. The weight of leadership can be heavy so attending a conference can allow you to be refreshed and renewed. The key is to not think about the work tasks or projects while your at the conference, this will allow you to really learn and be nourished.
3. Your able to connect with like minded people– When attending a conference you can connect and network with other leaders. Whether it’s a short (1 day) or a longer (3-4 day) conference you can start building a relationship that can last long after the conference is over. These relationships can be valuable to your leadership journey. Because they can:
- Lead to new and greater opportunities.
- Turn into friendships where you can support each other.
- Give you a chance to hold each other accountable for implementing what you have learned and support each others growth.
4. You can increase your platform- Attending a conference allows you to share (or promote) yourself and your platform, in moderation. When connecting and networking with others at some point during the conversation you will be able to share about your passions and what you’re doing online or offline to make a positive difference. Make your platform pitch short, to the point, and then move on.
Questions: What are some other benefits of attending a leadership conference? What conferences have you attend or plan on attending in 2013?