Trust is a foundational element to leadership. A leaders influence, effectiveness, and impact greatly depends on the amount of trust they have with the people around them. A leader must be deliberate about building trust and making sure they protect it at all cost. Below are 5 ways a leader can build and maintain trust:
1. Cultivate a trusting heart- Building trust with others requires that we can be trust worthy and are able to trust others. Redford Williams says, “Such a heart believes the basic goodness of human kind, that most people will be fair and kind in their relationships with others.” Leaders should be the first people who loan out trust to others.
2. Keep your word- When you say something or make a commitment then keep your word. This requires that your words are followed through with action. Whenever you commit to something, small or big, make sure you complete or accoplish what you said you would do. When people see you’re a person of your word they will trust you and your leadership guidance.
3. Respect others- Respecting the people around you shows you care and value them. Albert Einstein had a great mindset when he said, “I speak to everyone in the same way, whether he is a garbage man or the president of the university.” When people see you genuinely care about them and their well being they will be more inclined to trust you. Respect always fosters trust.
4. Avoid gossiping- Gossip can bring division and destruction into a team or organization. Leaders should never gossip or allow gossip to come into the organizational culture. This is because it can damage the relationship with the person you are talking about and also the person you are gossiping with. The person hearing you gossip about someone will have low trust with you because they will never know if you will gossip about them.
5. Be dependable- To build trust requires hat your people can depend on you and your leadership. Being dependable requires being present both physically and emotionally while your leading. Remember, “Trust is earned by following through and being dependable in small things as well as in large.” ~Unknown
Questions: How do you build trust with those around you? What are some things people have done to earn your trust?