To master a skill or become an expert in your industry requires being specific in your personal growth. Leaders see the best return on their personal growth when they focus their time and effort in specific areas. It excels a leader toward their personal potential. I would like to share with you my specific growth areas for this year:
- Spiritual- Being a person of faith my desire is to be growing and nurturing my spiritual life (This is an ongoing, year to year growth area). If you’re a person of faith I encourage you to make spiritual growth your primary growth area.
- Family- I know to lead my family successfully requires an investment in becoming a better husband and father. To learn how to better connect with my wife, raise my child, and lead my house well. We have to remember our home life will greatly impact other areas of influence.
- Leadership- This is one of my personal strengths so I want to maximize my influence by growing and developing in the area of leadership. I believe anyone (whether it’s a strength or not) would benefit from developing in leadership skills. I know Everyone Can Influence Someone Today.
- Communication- Effective leadership requires the ability to communicate and connect with others. I plan to become a better communicator by learning how to become a better speaker and actively engaging in public speaking. I have experience in public speaking but want to increase my communication skills (If you’re looking for someone to speak at your next conference or training please contact me so I can send you my speaking proposal).
- Platform- I have a strategic plan to increase my online platform this year. I know growing and learning in the areas of social media, blogging, and marketing will prepare me for the next level. To increase your online influence requires learning how to better build your platform.
Those are my specific growth areas. I recommend you identify and concentrate on 3-5 growth areas at one time. They should be relevant to your strengths, work competence, and areas that will allow you to be moving toward your dreams and potential.
After you have found your growth areas develop a system to grow and learn every day. In The 15 Invaluable Laws of Growth, John Maxwell said “The secret of your success is found in your daily routine.” Great leaders know the importance and value of daily growth. Your growth should include: reading, listening to audio, mentorship, attending conferences, and gaining experience. Remember the more specific you are in your growth areas the better you will develop yourself.
Questions: What are some of your specific personal growth areas? What is your personal growth plan for this year?