In a world that is fast paced and full of distractions we can sometimes overlook the basics. I know this can be true with personal development. Remembering the practical ways to grow our selves is essential. Self development can help both rookie and seasoned leaders. Before listing some practical ways to develop yourself, here are 3 benefits that come from personal development:
- It raises your leadership potential.
- It creates forward movement, allowing you to be moving toward your potential and success.
- It adds value to you and your people.
During your busy days remember and apply these practical ways to develop yourself:
1. Read- It’s important to read everything you can on the topic of leadership and your personal talents. If you want to always be leading and developing yourself then you need to take time to read. Harry S. Truman said, “Not all readers are leaders, but all leaders are readers.
2. Audio- Listen to audio books, trainings, and teachings is important when it comes to development. Personally I have found using my driving time to listen to audio books and lessons beneficial to my personal development. It also allows me to effectively use my time while in the car. By doing this, your commute time can be turned into personal growth time.
3. Mentorship- Finding and having mentors is an essential factor to leading successfully. It’s important to remember that one mentor is never enough. This is because one person can’t or does not know it all. The key is to find different mentors for the different areas you desire to develop in. Remember to find people who have already done what you want to do and who are experts in their field. Author and speaker Bob Proctor said, “A mentor is someone who sees more talent and ability within you, than you see in yourself, and helps bring it out of you.
4. Practice- This is one of the best ways to develop yourself, because it allows you to put your personal growth and theories into action. Remember the above steps can allow you to learn then apply what you have learned into your leadership. Learning and practicing is essential for staying ahead and moving forward.
Question: What are some other practical ways you can develop yourself?