It’s Guest Post Monday!!! This post is from Marc Millan who is a worship pastor and fellow blogger. Make sure to check out his blog Here. You can also connected with him on Facebook and Twitter. If you would like to have a post featured on my site then click here.
I am still learning and growing in my own leadership but one thing is certain for me, I need leaders around me, in a 360 degree sense, laterally and horizontally. Here are 10 reasons I need to be surrounded by leaders.
1. Diversity– If everyone in the circle looks the same, thinks the same, see’s things the same, we are all just agreeing and not thinking deep enough and diversity has always taught me to reach, think and work beyond my own comfort.
2. Wisdom– Proverbs over and over tells about the advise and counsel of others, that it’s a blessing. A group of wise, experienced leaders will bring you so much value, they will always see things through a filter of life beyond your own experience and the combination of those lives is far richer when it comes to decisions.
3. Accountability- What a joy to have leaders around me who see when things begin to change in small doses and in love hold me accountable, stay in my life, remind me of truth and reality.
4. Learning- The leaders who mentored me were always willing to teach me early on, I learned at the gym with them, I learned at Starbucks with them, they would drop books off at my desk when I wasn’t looking, I mean I learned and learned and when I am surrounded by leaders I learn and grow best.
5. Covering- I was never taught this part of leadership in ministry as a child but God made sure to teach it to me personally and painfully. It’s the most valuable point I can make in this post. Leaders above you are your covering, they are their to help you mature and succeed, they help your character grow and also testify to God’s work in your life, your leaders, our leaders are a blessing and placed by God over everything we do, walk in their covering.
6. Instruction- Again, the Book of Proverbs hits this point of embracing and accepting instruction a lot and for good reason, instruction helps us grow in humility and wisdom, get as much instruction you possibly can, always be ready to listen, learn from it, seek it out from those who surround you daily.
7. Truth- Ever see something way out of perspective or tend to over-react? I know I did and I usually did this most when I was outside of a solid circle of leaders, why? Leaders speak truth, they always operate in reality and see things with a calm, positive and effective mindset that keeps the chains moving and helps us see the truth too.
8. Unity– There is great power in the a unified group of Godly men and you can know God is among them. When you are submitted to the unity and harmony of leaders, it teaches us one of the greatest lessons we can ever learn from Jesus, meekness, patience and faithfulness.
9. Encouragement– Some have said leadership can be very lonely, I personally don’t fully agree with that, the burden may feel lonely but people are always ready to walk with us just as the Lord is and another great reason I love to be surrounded by leaders is I find strength and encouragement within that circle.
10. Balance- A solid group of leaders always brings value and perspective to any conversation, I can remember plenty of times just speaking with one of my leaders and having them ask, “are you spending time with your wife?” or in other seasons “are you seeking the Lord enough?”, leaders bring us so much value and the more diverse the group the more value and balance they can bring in our lives.
One thing is very clear for me in this new season of my life, being surrounded by leaders is a must, it can be a tweet, a call, a conference, a meet up at Starbucks, all of it blesses my life and helps me grow and continue growing as a leader.
Question: What are some reasons you might need leaders around you?