This Guest Post Monday is from TC Avey who writes about religion, current events and politics at Wisdom of a Fool. Make sure to check out her blog and follower her on Twitter. If you would like to be featured on the Guest Post Monday please click here.
I’ve been praying about qualities God likes in His leaders. After much prayer, here is what God has spoken to me.
1. Willing to do what is right instead of what is easy. “Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it.” Matt 7:13NIV
2. Should not expect special privileges!!! “Remember the words I spoke to you: ‘No servant is greater than his master.’ If they persecuted me, they will persecute you also. If they obeyed my teaching, they will obey yours also.” John 15:20 NIV
3. Willing to sacrifice their fleshly rights, (selfishness- to get their own way, to lose control of emotions, set their own schedule, to take a day off- leaders do not get to take the day off when they don’t feel like being responsible, they are always responsible 24/7 because someone is always watching and always needing them). “Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others.” Philippians 2:4 NIV
4. Willing to decrease self-decreasing self is painful; it means swallowing pride and not retaliating. It means giving up the right to be “ME”. It’s not about my preferences or personality traits, it’s about glorifying God. “He must become greater; I must become less.” John 3:30 NIV
5. Willing to control tempter/emotions – not “speak my mind”. People remember the times leaders mess up more than all the times they do what is right. Leaders cannot be perfect, but they should have a willingness to endeavor to control emotions. “Likewise the tongue is a small part of the body, but it makes great boasts. Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark.” James 3:5 NIV
6. Willing to follow the rules even when no one else does. “Remind the people to be subject to rulers and authorities, to be obedient, to be ready to do whatever is good,” Titus 3:1 NIV
7. Willing to love the unlovable, a leader cannot exclude people from their group/life. “If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that?” Matthew 5:46 NIV
8. Willing to compromise, make things convenient for others. “We put no stumbling block in anyone’s path, so that our ministry will not be discredited.” 2 Corinthians 6:3 NIV
9. ABOVE ALL: Willing to daily grow spiritually. Cannot take a day off from serving Christ and following Him. “But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.” Matthew 6:33 ESV. Because a Good Christian Leader knows that their ability and strength to lead comes not from self, but from God. They also realize that the lust of the world is difficult to withstand therefore they need Gods help. They also must be aware that what they may do in moderation, those who follow them will do more liberally.
To sum it up: I heard a speaker say that a good leader mustn’t Project their own glory but must REFLECT God’s Glory! “Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.” Matthew 5:16 KJV
Question: What qualities has God shown you a leader of His must possess?