It is important to know and apply the qualities that successful leaders have. Doing what good leaders do is not enough. It takes doing what great leaders do which allows you to reach your potential and see lasting success. The best thing a leader can do is to find and apply the qualities of successful leaders. In my experience I have found these 5 qualities important when it comes to leadership:
1. Growth Driven– Being growth driven requires being intentional about learning and becoming better. Because who you are today will not allow you to become successful tomorrow, it takes the discipline to grow and develop yourself on a daily basis. It’s about preparing for tomorrow so you’re ready for the next opportunity. Remember, “Luck is a matter of preparation meeting opportunity.” ~Oprah Winfrey
2. Relational Skills- This is such an essential quality in leading others. A leader needs to be able to build relationships and relate well with others. This requires having and developing Emotional Intelligence and people skills. A world class leader has the ability to connect, listen, relate, and build relationship with others. I agree with John Maxwell when he says, “Relational skills are the most important abilities in leadership.”
3. Thinker- A often over looked aspect of leadership is thinking. This is because so much about leading is in “doing,” which makes it hard for a leader to slow down and take the time to think. If we want to develop the qualities of successful leaders then we need to become better thinkers. To help you become a better thinker here are a few things you can do,
Discipline yourself to think.
Associate with great thinkers.
Always have an inflow of good thoughts.
Find a place to think, share, and apply your thoughts.
4. Strength Based- Great leaders capitalize on personal strengths while delegating weaknesses. This is important because as Marcus Buckingham says, “You will be most optimistic, most courageous, and most ambitious when you play to areas of strength.” This is an important quality because it places a huge factor in reaching your potential and seeing personal success.
5. Influencer- an ancient proverb says, “If you think you’re leading and no one is following you, then you’re only taking a walk.” The quality of every leader is being able to influence others. If you’re not influencing others then you’re not leading anything. When it comes to influence we should Grow and Maintain influence…Then Expand.
If you focus and apply these qualities in your life then I believe you will become a better leader and reach your potential.
Question: What are some other qualities of a successful leader?